Do cultural influences affect education?
Yes. A child's culture and background experiences are critical to learning.
(*cited in Willis, 2000)
- Does this book reflect a diversity of gender roles; racial, economic, and cultural backgrounds; special needs and abilities; range of ages; range of occupations?
- Do the text/illustrations present current, accurate, and respectful information/images?
- Are cultural details naturally integrated into the story?
- Is the speech of the people in the book accurate and appropriate?
- Does the story help members of a group feel greater pride in their background?
- Does the book encourage children to become more socially conscious?