It is important to provide them with opportunities to make connections with adoptees, regardless of whether their adoption stories are similar or not. Consider the fact that Washington D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams can inspire every child, though few will share a common adoption story. Children can be empowered by learning how he incorporated his identity as an adoptee with the successful person he is today.
Did you know that these successful people are all adoptees?
- Sarah McLachlan - a musician, songwriter, performer and winner of two Grammy Awards. She and her two older brothers were adopted.
- Edward Albee -Playwright
- John J. Audubon – Naturalist
- Surya Bonaly – Olympic Figure Skater
- Peter and Kitty Carruthers – Olympic Skaters
- Christina Crawford – Author
- Daunte Culpepper – football players, Minnesota Vikings
- Faith Daniels - TV News Personality
- Eric Dickerson - Pro Football Player
- Melissa Gilbert - Actor
- Scott Hamilton – Olympic Skater
- Faith Hill - Singer
- Steve Jobs - Founder, Apple Computer